- What degree programs are offered at the Laguna Hills location?
- Where is the Orange County location?
- Can I finish my entire degree at this location?
- How do I apply?
- How is attending in Laguna Hills different from attending in La Mirada?
- Is Financial Aid available?
- How long will it take me to finish my degree?
- Do you offer Doctoral programs?
- What classes are being offered in Laguna Hills?
Core classes that apply to four Talbot degree programs are offered. The degrees are:
- M. Div. (Master of Divinity)
- M.A. (Master of Arts) There are seven different concentrations that a student may choose from in the M.A. program: Bible Exposition, Old Testament, New Testament, Theology, Biblical & Theological Studies/Diversified, Philosophy of Religion & Ethics, and Spiritual Formation.
- M.A. – Christian Education
- M.A. – Christian Ministry and Leadership
Talbot is conveniently located next to the 405 Freeway at the El Toro exit in a multi-story office building. State-of-the-art classrooms, an extension library, and internet access are provided, as well academic advising and access to faculty who are teaching there. The address is: 24422 Avenida de la Carlota, Laguna Hills, CA 92653.
At this time, Talbot intends to further establish and grow the extension, before the full degree programs are offered there. 49% of each degree may be completed in Laguna Hills however, with the balance being completed at the main campus in La Mirada, CA. For students working full time and attending school, intensive courses are offered in January and in Summer on the main campus. This reduces the total commute, and the length of time required to complete the degree.
Online applications are now being accepted for Fall 2010. Simply click: Apply Now. You will want to provide all application documents by July 1 to start in the Fall, and by Dec 1 to start the following Spring.
The level of scholarship of the professors will be the same at both campuses. One full-time professor will be present at Laguna Hills. Some professors will be commuting from the La Mirada area. Other Talbot professors already live in Orange County, so it will be easy for them to drive to Laguna Hills. The primary difference is that Laguna Hills is convenient for many Orange County and San Diego County students.
Talbot School of Theology is affiliated with Biola University, and the university’s goal is to provide students who have a financial need with assistance within the limits of the university resources. The Financial Aid department asks all students to complete a FAFSA form which clarifies the individual need. Once that is complete, Financial Aid counselors are available to meet with the student on a one to one basis to explain the options and resources available.
The typical Talbot student finishes in two to four years depending on the length of their program. Some students take longer based upon their taking fewer classes each semester.
Talbot School of Theology offers three Doctoral programs: Doctor of Philosphy in Educational Studies (Ph.D), Doctor of Education in Educational Studies (Ed.D.), and Doctor of Ministry (D. Min.). However, no coursework that applies to the requirements of doctoral degrees is planned for Laguna Hills.
Core classes for four degree programs are being offered over a three-year course sequence. They are:
Fall 2010 Session
- BE 517 Hermeneutics & Bible Study Methods (3)
- NT 501 Beginning Greek I (2 units)
- BE 519 Survey of Genesis-Malachi (3)
- PT 703 Church and Society (3)
- NT 502 Beginning Greek II (2 units)
Year TwoFall 2011 Session
- SF 501 Introduction to Spiritual Theology & Formation (3)
- BE 520 Survey of Matthew-Revelation (3)
- NT 503 Introduction to Exegesis (3)
- SF 503 Personal Foundations for Spiritual Formation (3)
- PT 609 Expository Preaching (Prereq: BE 517, NT 503) (3)
- TH 511 Theology I (3)
Fall 2012 Session
- PT 707 Foundations of Pastoral Care and Counseling (3)
- NT 604 Exegesis in the Gospels (3)
- TH 512 Theology II (3)
- PH 602 Apologetics (3)
- HT 505 Patristics and Medieval Theology (3)
- TH 613 Theology III (3)
Additional information is available at Common Questions.