Welcome to the Christian Educators of the 20th Century web-based database. This site provides access to information about the people who have shaped the field of Christian religious education in North America throughout the 20th Century. The database covers Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox religious education leaders. It is overseen by an editorial board consisting of Christian religious education scholars from a variety of denominational backgrounds. When completed, the database will contain entries on approximately 160 persons. Those included in this project are deceased, retired or past age 70. Further nominations are welcome as we complete the project in our final phase of development.
Each person's entry in the Christian Educators of the 20th Century database includes:
- Photo(s) of the person
- A biographical essay of their life and work
- An essay assessing the impact this person had on the field of Christian education
- A bibliography of published works (we have sought to be exhaustive where possible)
- A bibliography of writings about the person and his/her work
- Excerpts from the person's writings (where permission could be obtained)
- A recommended reading list for those unfamiliar with the person's work
- Information on any schools or denominational offices with significant holdings of the person's works for those desiring to do further research
This project, funded by The Lilly Endowment and hosted by Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, is intended to serve the needs of faculty, students, and other researchers in the field of Christian education who desire to better understand who and what has shaped the development of Christian education during the last century and up to the present. We stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us, and we inherit educational ministry approaches that have been shaped by the contexts and issues of previous generations. This project provides access to the kind of resources necessary for sound historical research that can help challenge and guide the ongoing development of effective educational ministry in the local church. May God's people use it to God's glory.
Kevin E. Lawson
Director, Ph.D. and Ed.D. programs in Educational Studies
Talbot School of Theology
CE20 Project Director
Nominate an Entry: Final Phase
Submit a nomination to the Christian Educators of the 20th Century.