The Office of Graduate Admissions must receive all application items no later than the following dates:
Fall: April 15th for the Institute of Spiritual Formation*
July 1st for all other programs
Spring: October 15th for the Institute of Spiritual Formation*
November 1st for all other programs
Note: We encourage you to apply four to eight months ahead of your expected enrollment date. Applications may be submitted after deadlines, but will be considered and processed if space is available and if time allows.
Talbot School of Theology has a history of strong Christian commitment and holds firmly to the inerrancy of the Bible. We require that an accepted applicant be a Christian believer in agreements with our articles of faith statement (doctrinal statement).
- Apply Online. An application fee of $65 (non-refundable) must accompany the application. Pay online through the online application or submit a check payable to Biola University.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. If enrolled at the time application is filed, be sure to request transcripts of work finished to date and final transcripts upon completion of your course of study. Transcripts must be official, that is, mailed directly from your college or university in a sealed envelope or sent electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse. Send to: Biola University Office of Graduate Admissions, 13800 Biola Avenue, La Mirada, CA 90639. Final approval for admission is contingent on receiving an official transcript.
- Submit references. The pastoral reference must be submitted by a pastor on staff at your current church.
- Complete essays as indicated in the application. The number of essays may vary depending upon program. They are typically 1-2 page typewritten statements submitted with the application. The intent of the essays are to assist you in considering how God has led your Christian journey and how He is leading you to study with us at this time. The essays also allow admissions committees to consider your involvement in Christian service, readiness for growth journey and your gifts and potential for ministry in a formal or non-formal setting.
- Track your application status at any time. You do not have to complete the application in one sitting. You can complete a portion and finish at a later time. Your information will be saved. You will be asked to create a user name and a password when you apply to guarantee confidentiality and you will receive a personalized identification number.
- If you are applying for Spring or Fall 2016, track your application status by logging in here.
These issues may not disqualify you, however, they have a significant effect on your life and ministry. Therefore, please submit a one to two page (we recommend using a text editor like Word and then copying-and-pasting into the online application) statement indicating: the general circumstances (include counseling and attempts at reconciliation) and your view of the biblical teaching on separation, divorce and remarriage and how your situation relates to that teaching. What effect do you perceive it having upon your future ministry? Please reference appropriate biblical passages.
Criminal conviction other than traffic violations
Having been convicted does not necessarily disqualify you, however, it may have an impact upon your life and ministry. Please submit a one to two page statement (we recommend using a text editor like Word and then copying-and-pasting into the online application). Describe the circumstances in full, including date(s) and the name and location of the court(s), nature of the offense(s) and disposition of the case, i.e., sentence imposed, and the impact you perceive it having upon your future ministry.
English Proficiency Requirements
You are required to display English proficiency before being admitted into the graduate programs at Biola University. You are required to submit standardized test scores (TOEFL or IELTS) for application to Biola. TOEFL Scores of at least 90 iBT and IELTS Scores of at least 7 will qualify for our regular Master’s level programs. A score of 100 iBT on the TOEFL and 7.5 on the IELTS is required for all Doctoral, MA Philosophy, Messianic Jewish Studies, and Spiritual Formation programs. Students who have a score below 90 iBT and 7 on the IELTS will not be considered for a graduate program, but may apply to the English Language Learner (ELL) program.
AFTER YOU’VE APPLIED:
- You will be assigned to an admissions counselor and notified of his/her name. Any questions you have concerning admissions, financial aid, or housing should be directed to your admissions counselor.
- You will be notified of items needed to complete your file.
- Upon completion of your file and review by committee, and admission decision will be made. Notification of the decision will be sent by mail.
- Remit required $100 enrollment deposit payable to “Biola University” to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- The medical examination form (included with the acceptance notification) must be completed and returned to the Health Center if applicable.