Fall: April 15
Spring/Interterm: November 15
- Apply Online or Download the Application.
- An application fee of $55 (non-refundable) is required. Pay online through the online application or submit a check payable to Biola University.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. If enrolled at the time application is filed, be sure to request transcripts of work finished to date and final transcripts upon completion of your course of study. Transcripts must be official, that is, mailed directly from your college or university in a sealed envelope to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Submit three references. (Online Reference Forms or Download the Reference Forms.)
- One of your references should submit an additional full-page letter of reference wherre the person freely discusses why you would be appropriate for the Institute for Spiritual Formation program.
- Submit a 1-2 page statement outlining your vocational or ministry objectives and how the program you choose relates to those objectives. (This is included in the online application but must be submitted separately if you are completing the PDF application.)
Submit a supplemental cover sheet and three essays in addition to those required by the Talbot application. (Submit Online or Download the PDF)
- General essay at least 1000 words addressing (a) your understanding of spiritual formation and soul care and (b) why you wish to pursue graduate studies. Include in your essay potential ministerial goals, personal interests, etc.
- Personal Essay briefly express how you envision this program practically affecting your personal life while going through the program (time commitments, family, job and financial needs, etc.)
- Personal Biography at least 1000 words, particularly focusing on the significant spiritual developments of your life, how they have shaped you as a person, and where you are now in your spiritual development.
Due to the unique nature of this program, all applicants will be personally interviewed.
These issues may not disqualify you, however, they have a significant effect on your life and ministry. Therefore, please submit a one to two page (we recommend using a text editor like Word and then copying-and-pasting into the online application) statement indicating: the general circumstances (include counseling and attempts at reconciliation) and your view of the biblical teaching on separation, divorce and remarriage and how your situation relates to that teaching. Please reference appropriate biblical passages. What effect do you perceive it having upon your future ministry?
Criminal conviction other than traffic violations
Having been convicted does not necessarily disqualify you, however, it may have an impact upon your life and ministry. Please submit a one to two page statement (we recommend using a text editor like Word and then copying-and-pasting into the online application). Describe the circumstances in full, including date(s) and the name and location of the court(s), nature of the offense(s) and disposition of the case, i.e., sentence imposed, and the impact you perceive it having upon your future ministry.
English Proficiency Requirement
You are required to display English proficiency before being admitted into the graduate programs at Biola University. You are required to submit standardized test scores (TOEFL) for application to Biola. TOEFL Scores of 88 IBT and above will go into regular Master's level programs. A score of 100 IBT is required for all ThM, Doctoral, MA Philosophy and the Messianic Jewish Studies MDiv and Certificate programs. Students who do not have a score of 88 IBT will not be considered for a graduate program.
Required Scores: TOEFL 88 IBT
After You Apply
- You will be assigned to an admissions counselor and notified, by letter or email, of his/her name. Any questions you have concerning admissions, financial aid, or housing should be directed to your admissions counselor.
- You will be notified of items needed to complete your file.
- Upon completion of your file and review by committee, an admission decision will be made. Notification of the decision will be sent by mail.
- Remit required $100 enrollment deposit payable to "Biola University" to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- The medical examination form (included with the acceptance notification) must be completed and returned to the Health Center if applicable.