Fall: July 1 (Spiritual Formation emphasis deadline April 15)
Spring/Interterm: December 1 (Spiritual Formation emphasis deadline November 15)
Summer: May 1
- Apply Online or Download the Application.
- An application fee of $55 (non-refundable) is required.Pay online through the online application or submit a check payable to Biola University.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. If enrolled at the time application is filed, be sure to request transcripts of work finished to date and final transcripts upon completion of your course of study. Transcripts must be official, that is, mailed directly from your college or university in a sealed envelope to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Submit three references. (Online Reference Forms or Download the Reference Forms.)
- Submit a 1-2 page statement outlining your vocational or ministry objectives and how the program you choose relates to those objectives. (This is included in the online application but must be submitted separately if you are completing the PDF application.)
English Proficiency Requirements
You are required to display English proficiency before being admitted into the graduate programs at Biola University. You are required to submit standardized test scores (TOEFL) for application to Biola. TOEFL Scores of 88 IBT and above will go into regular Master’s level programs. A score of 100 IBT is required for all ThM, Doctoral, MA Philosophy and the Messianic Jewish Studies MDiv and Certificate programs. Students who do not have a score of 88 IBT will not be considered for a graduate program.
Required Scores: TOEFL 88 IBT
These issues may not disqualify you, however, they have a significant effect on your life and ministry. Therefore, please submit a one to two page (we recommend using a text editor like Word and then copying-and-pasting into the online application) statement indicating: the general circumstances (include counseling and attempts at reconciliation) and your view of the biblical teaching on separation, divorce and remarriage and how your situation relates to that teaching. Please reference appropriate biblical passages. What effect do you perceive it having upon your future ministry?
Criminal conviction other than traffic violations
Having been convicted does not necessarily disqualify you, however, it may have an impact upon your life and ministry. Please submit a one to two page statement (we recommend using a text editor like Word and then copying-and-pasting into the online application). Describe the circumstances in full, including date(s) and the name and location of the court(s), nature of the offense(s) and disposition of the case, i.e., sentence imposed, and the impact you perceive it having upon your future ministry.
Before You Begin Your Application
Biola University accepts international applications only for the fall semester. You must have the equivalent of a bachelor's degree from an accredited, recognized institution.
A pre-application must be completed no later than February 1 for preferred consideration. The pre-application must be approved by the Graduate Admissions Office before you begin your application. You will be notified by the Graduate Admissions Office of approval within 2-3 weeks after submitting the completed pre-application.
Application deadline is June 1.
- An application for admission, references and a $55 non–refundable application fee.
- Official transcripts of all colleges, universities or seminaries attended must be sent directly from the school to Biola’s Office of Graduate Admission to be official. All transcripts must be accompanied by a certified English translation that documents coursework and examinations taken, indicates grades received, identifies passing and maximum marks, and evidences completion of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Before we can consider your application you must be able to demonstrate a substantial amount of financial support from your own resources. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will not allow us to issue I-20 forms (used to obtain student visas) without documented proof that the student has sufficient funds to study in this country. This means the applicant must raise 100% of the needed costs. The affidavit of support form assures us that you will receive support from a sponsor or your parent(s) for the necessary funds to support your education at Biola. We require that an official or notary public notarize the form. We also require that corresponding bank statements be attached. Download the Affidavit of Financial Support.
- Reference forms: please see the application for your particular program.
You are required to display English proficiency before being admitted into the graduate programs at Biola University. You are required to submit standardized test scores (TOEFL) for application to Biola. TOEFL Scores of 88 IBT and above will go into regular Master’s level programs. A score of 100 IBT is required for all ThM, Doctoral and MA Philosophy programs. Students who do not have a score of 88 IBT will not be considered for a graduate program. If you have a score below 88 IBT you may be admitted into the English Language Program at the English Language Institute (ELI) which is not graduate studies level.
TOEFL 88 IBT - Master of Arts (exception below), Master of Arts in Christian Education, Master of Arts in Christian Ministry and Leadership, Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation & Soul Care, Master of Dvinity
After You Apply
- You will be assigned to an admissions counselor and notified, by letter or email, of his/her name. Any questions you have concerning admissions, financial aid, or housing should be directed to your admissions counselor.
- You will be notified of items needed to complete your file.
- Upon completion of your file and review by committee, an admission decision will be made. Notification of the decision will be sent by mail.
- Remit required $100 enrollment deposit payable to "Biola University" to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- The medical examination form (included with the acceptance notification) must be completed and returned to the Health Center if applicable.