Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies
Program Director, Undergraduate Studies in Intercultural Studies
- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
- Th.M., Asbury Theological Seminary
- M. Div., Alliance Theological Seminary
- B.S., Nyack College
Dr. Alan McMahan has served in churches in North America and on the Pacific Rim as well as taught in the areas of missiology, church growth, leadership, organizational development, and evangelism. He has been active in training undergraduate and graduate students including mid-career professionals, Bible school teachers, pastors, and denominational leaders through the U.S., Canada, and much of Southeast Asia in the effective means to develop leaders and grow churches. He maintains an active consulting service in churches and is the former president of the American Society of Church Growth. He has earned degrees from Fuller Seminary, Asbury Seminary, the Alliance Theological Seminary and Nyack College. His Ph.D. dissertation was entitled, "Training Turnaround Leaders, Systemic Approaches to Reinstate Growth in Plateaued Churches." He has served as a Vice President for the Alliance Theological Seminary, and as the Academic Dean at The King’s College in mid-town Manhattan. Dr. McMahan now works at Biola University as an Associate Professor in the School of Intercultural Studies and serves as the Department Chair for the Undergraduate Program. He has a wife, Terri, and two sons, Billy and Jonathan, and lives in La Mirada, California.
- American Society for Church Growth
- American Society of Missiology
- International Association for Missions Studies
- Member of the Overseas Missions Study Center (OMSC) Study Group on Missions Issues
Awards and Honors
- Selected as a distinguished educator by Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006
- Leadership Award, Fuller Theological Seminary, 1998
- Donald McGavran Church Growth Award, Fuller Theological Seminary, 1998
- Theta Phi Honor Society, Asbury Theological Seminary, 1989
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, Nyack College, 1979 and 1980
- General Editor, Journal of The American Society for Church Growth, Volume 20, Winter 2009.
- General Editor, Great Commission Research Journal, Volume 1, No. 1 – Summer, 2009.
- “Church Growth By Another Name: Challenges and Opportunities for the Future of a Movement,” in Great Commission Research Journal, Volume 1, No. 1 – Summer, 2009.
- “Guest Editor” Journal for the American Society for Church Growth Fall 2004.
- “Church Growth Consulting: Evolution of an Intervention.” Journal of the American Society for Church Growth Fall 2004.
- “Book Review: Human Capital: What it Is and Why People Invest It.” Strategies for Today's Leaders Third Quarter 2001 (Web edition).
- “Training Turnaround Leaders: Systematic Approaches to Reinstating Growth in Plateaued Churches.” 1998. University Microfilms, Inc.