Clinton E. Arnold
Dean, Talbot School of Theology
Professor of New Testament Language and Literature
- Post-Doctoral Study, University of Tübingen, Germany
- Ph.D., University of Aberdeen
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- B.A., Biola College
Dr. Arnold enjoys teaching, speaking, and writing on various aspects of the New Testament. He has had a special interest in the historical and cultural setting of the letters of Paul. He is currently serving as the Vice President of the Evangelical Theological Society. Dr. Arnold is the editor of the four-volume Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary for which he wrote commentaries on “Acts, Ephesians”, and “Colossians”. He is the general editor of the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament for which he has written the volume on “Ephesians”. His other books include: How We Got the Bible (Zondervan); Ephesians: Power and Magic (Cambridge/Baker/Wipf & Stock); Powers of Darkness: Principalities and Powers in Paul's Letters (InterVarsity Press); The Colossian Syncretism (Mohr Siebeck/Baker); and 3 Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare (Baker). Dr. Arnold has published in Christianity Today and was a regular columnist for Discipleship Journal. His research articles have appeared in such journals as New Testament Studies, Novum Testamentum, Journal for the Study of the New Testament, and the Journal of Psychology and Theology. Dr. Arnold, his wife, and three boys are vitally involved in their local church.
- Whittier Hills Baptist Church, Whittier, CA
- Society of Biblical Literature (Member)
- Institute for Biblical Research (Member)
- Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas (International Society for New Testament Studies, Member)
- Member and research grant recipient of Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research, Cambridge, England
- Evangelical Theological Society (Member)
- “I Am Astonished That You Are So Quickly Turning Away! (Gal 1:6): Paul and Anatolian Folk Belief.” New Testament Studies, 51.3 (2005) 429-449.
- “Early Church Catechesis and New Christians Classes in Contemporary Evangelicalism.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 47.1, 2004. Pp. 39-54.
- “Using the Computer for Bible Study” in Discipleship Journal, 138, Nov/Dec 2003.
- “It's All Greek To Me! Clearing Up the Confusion About Bible Translations” in Discipleship Journal, 132, Nov/Dec 2002. Pp. 28-36.
- “Reading the Bible as Literature.” in Discipleship Journal's Best Bible Study Methods, Eds. Melissa Munro & Judith Couchman, Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2002. Pp. 81-88.
- “Satan's Main Agenda” in "Three Views on Spiritual Warfares Seen Through the Eyes of a Theologian, Psychologist, and Intercultural Expert." in Biola Connections, Winter 2002. P. 16.
- “What Does the New Testament Mean by a 'Sabbath-Rest'?” Discipleship Journal, 127, Jan/Feb 2002. Pp. 36.
- “Exporcism 101.” Christianity Today, 45.11, September 3, 2001. P 58.
- “Woman and Man in Apostolic Teaching” co-written with Robert L. Saucy, Women and Men in Ministry. A Complementary Perspective, Eds. Robert L. Saucy & Judith K. TenElshof, Chicago: Moody, 2001. Pp. 113-38.
- “The Ephesian Background of Paul's Teaching on Women's Ministry.” co-written with Robert L. Saucy, Women and Men in Ministry. A Complementary Perspective, Eds. Robert L. Saucy & Judith K. TenElshof, Chicago: Moody, 2001. Pp. 279-90.
Books, Volumes, Chapters
- “Ephesians”. Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2010
- How We Got the Bible. A Visual Journey. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008.
- “Colossians” and “Philemon.” in ESV Study Bible. Wheaton, Illinois: Crossway, 2008.
- “Colossians”, “Philemon”, “Can We Still Believe in Demons?” in Apologetics Study Bible. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2008.
- “Ephesians: Power and Magic. The Concept of Power in Ephesians in Light of its Historical Setting.” Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989. 2nd ed. Baker, 1992; 3rd ed. Baker, 1997; rpt. Wipf & Stock, 2002.
- General Editor of the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002. (Winner of the Golden Medallion Award by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association)
- “Acts” “Ephesians” “Colossians” in Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002.
- “Magical Papyri” in Dictionary of New Testament Background. Downer's Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- “The Powers and Mission”, “Territorial Spirits” in The Evangelical Dictionary of World Missions. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000.
- “Angel”, “Head”, “Sword”, “Wrestling” in Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Downer's Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1998.
- "Three Crucial Questions About Spiritual Warfare". Grand Rapids: Baker, 1997.