Darian R Lockett
Associate Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies
- Ph.D., University of St. Andrews
- M.Div., Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.A., University of Kansas
The overarching goal of a specifically Christian liberal arts education, in a word, is wisdom. It is Dr. Lockett's desire to display godly wisdom in teaching, writing, and service, in order to serve the church of Jesus Christ by equipping individuals for life and ministry. Dr Lockett is particularly interested in the General Letters, hermeneutics, theological interpretation, and political/economic philosophies and Scripture. He is the author of Purity and Worldview in the Epistle of James and has published chapters on James and Jude in various edited volumes. Dr. Lockett has contributed articles to Tyndale Bulletin and Neotestamentica and has published several reviews in Scottish Journal of Theology, Review of Biblical Literature, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, and Midwestern Journal of Theology. He enjoys spending time with his family, playing guitar, reading great literature, and watching college basketball (especially the Kansas Jayhawks!).
- Institute for Biblical Research (2007)
- Evangelical Political Scholars Association (2007) Founding Member/Board Member
- Tyndale Fellowship (Cambridge) (2005)
- Evangelical Theological Society (2001)
- Society of Biblical Literature (2001)
- The Phi Beta Kappa Society (1998)
Awards and Honors
- Biola University Faculty Research and Development Grant (Interterm 2009)
- The King’s College Full-time Faculty member of the year (2005—2006)
- Baker Book House Award (for excellence in the study of theology) (2001)
- Invited to speak at Senior Chapel (2001)
- J. Truett Gannon D. M. Scholarship (2000—2001)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1998)
- Phi Alpha Theta (Historical Honors Society) (1998)
“Are the Catholic Epistles a Canonically Significant Collection? A Status Quaestionis,” Currents in Biblical Research (forthcoming).
“Objects of Mercy in Jude: The Prophetic Background of Jude 22-23” Catholic Biblical Quarterly (forthcoming).
Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary. Ed. Tremper Longman III. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013. Contributing author.
Understanding Biblical Theology: A Comparison of Theory and Practice. With Edward W. Klink. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2012.
Types of Biblical Theology. Co-authored with Edward W. Klink III (Zondervan).
Introduction to the Catholic Epistles: T & T Clark Approaches to Biblical Studies. London: T & T Clark, 2012.
Purity and Worldview in the Epistle of James. LNTS 366; London: T & T Clark, 2008.
“Structure or Communicative Strategy?: The ‘Two Ways’ Motif in James’ Theological Instruction.” Neotestamentica 42.2 (2008): 269-287.
“The Spectrum of Wisdom and Eschatology in the Epistle of James and 4QInstruction.” Tyndale Bulletin 56.2 (2005): 131-148.
Chapters and contributions
“Purity and Polemic: A Reassessment of Jude's Theological World,” Pages 5-31 in Reading Jude with New Eyes: Methodological Reassessments of the Letter of Jude. Eds. by Robert L. Webb and Peter H. Davids; LNTS 383; London: T&T Clark, 2009.
“God and 'the World': Cosmology and Theology in the Letter of James,” Pages 144-156 inCosmology and New Testament Theology. Eds. Jonathan T. Pennington and Sean M. McDonough;LNTS 355; London: T & T Clark, 2008.
“'Unstained by the World': Purity and Pollution as an Indicator of Cultural Interaction in the Epistle of James.” Pages 49-74 in Reading James with New Eyes. Eds. Robert L. Webb and John S. Kloppenborg. LNTS 342; London: T & T Clark, 2007.
With Craig A. Evans, “James.” Pages 257-287 in Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Ed. Craig A. Evans; Colorado Springs, CO.: Victor, 2005.
Articles on “Allegory,” “James,” “Jude,” “Perfection,” “World,” et al. in Baker Bible Dictionary. Ed. Tremper Longman. Grand Rapids: Baker, forthcoming 2011.
"James." In The [Oxford] Encyclopedia of the Bible. Edited by Michael D. Coogan. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009 (http://www.oxfordbiblicalstudies.com/print/opr/t280/e3).
Articles on “Pure,” “Impure,” “Holy,” et al. Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Ed. William Mounce; Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
- Catholic Epistles (especially James)
- Canonical function of the CE
- Relationship between Old and New Testaments
- Hermeneutics/Theological Interpretation of Scripture
- Political and economic philosophy and Christian Scripture
- Jewish Backgrounds (Second Temple Wisdom/Cultic Traditions)
- History of Biblical Interpretation