Assistant Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies
- D.Phil., Oxford University (In Progress)
- Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary
- B.A., University of Hawaii at Manoa
Professor Volkmer loves to incite a passion in others for God's Word, especially from the Old Testament. He has served extensively in pastoral ministry all over the country and brings his pastor's heart into the classroom to help his students fall deeper in love with Christ. His academic specialties include the application of the methods of language and computer technology to the textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible in light of the Syriac and Aramaic versions as well as their potential to inform Biblical exegesis and interpretation. He also participates in the Turgama project of the Werkgroep Informatica in The Netherlands contributing to their aim to map the language and text-history of the Peshitta and Classical Syriac. Professor Volkmer is finishing up his doctorate at Oxford University where he is writing his dissertation on the Peshitta Psalter and has written various book reviews, contributions to textbooks, and academic as well as pastoral articles. He is married to Jessica and has two children, Grace and John, and is an avid road cyclist in his spare time.
- Translator of L. Costaz, S. J., Grammaire Syriaque and Tableaux de Grammaire Syriaque. Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias Press, forthcoming.
- Review of Georges Bohas, Les bgdkpt en Syriaque: selon Bar Zo‘bî. Editions Amam-Cemaa. Amam-Cemaa, Toulouse, 2005. Journal of Semitic Studies, 53.2: 2008.
- The Indigenous Pilgrim Principle: A Theological Consideration of the Christian, the Church, and Politics, Nov. 2008. Online: http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=6150
- An Introduction and Orientation to the "Gospel" of Judas, Feb. 2007. Online: http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=4779
- God Has Been, Is, and Will Be With Us, Jan. 2008. Online: http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=5408
- OT editor and contributor for J. Scott Horrell's, The Center of It All. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Academic, forthcoming.
- Assistant editor, Zephaniah, Song of Songs, and Psalms, NET (New English Translation) Bible. Dallas, TX: Biblical Studies Press, 1996-Present. Translational, text-critical, and editorial consultant.