J. Kent Edwards
Professor of Christian Ministry and Leadership
- Ph.D., Cook School of Intercultural Studies, BIOLA University
- D.Min., Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary
- M.Div., Tyndale Seminary
- B.Th, Canadian Bible College
Dr. Edwards’ ambition is to change people’s lives with the Word of God and equip others to do the same. Kent is known for his passion for preaching, and brings over 30 years of Christian leadership experience, both as a senior pastor and a church planter. He is a popular conference and seminar speaker and lectures regularly nationally and internationally.
Dr. Kent Edwards is the tenured Professor of Preaching & Leadership at Talbot School of Theology / BIOLA University, the founding pastor of Oasis Community Church in Yorba Linda CA, and President of CrossTalk Global. He directed the Doctor of Ministry Programs at Talbot School of Theology and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary for 14 years while serving as Executive Board Member of the Association for Doctor of Ministry Education, and founder / editor of The Journal of Christian Ministry. Dr. Edwards is past president of the Evangelical Homiletics Society and the author of two award-winning books: Effective First-Person Biblical Preaching (Zondervan, 2005) and Deep Preaching (Broadman & Holman, 2009). Kent has earned the degrees of Bachelor of Theology, Master of Divinity, Doctor of Ministry, and a Ph.D. in Intercultural Education. His dissertation was on effective international leadership.
Kent has been married to Nola for thirty-two years. They have two sons: Nathan (24) and Jonathan (21).
- Evangelical Homiletics Society
- Academy of Homiletics
- Association of Doctor of Ministry Education
- Chapter in "Models for Biblical Preaching: Expository Sermons from the Old Testament”, published by Baker Academic, April 2014.
- Chapter in "Serving the Word:Essays in Honor of Dr. Chuck Sackett", published by Wipf & Stock, July 2015.
- Deep Preaching: Creating Sermons that Go Beyond the Superficial, published by B & H Academic. August 2009
- Effective First-Person Biblical Preaching. Zondervan, released September, 2005.
- The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching. Contributed two chapters. Zondervan 2005. Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson, General Editors
- Contributor, It's All About How You Tell It Baker, 2003 by Haddon and Torrey Robinson.
- Contributing author, Perfect Illustrations for Every Topic and Occasion, Tyndale House Publishers, Craig Brian Larsen ed.
- “What Will I Serve For Dinner?” in the 2008 Jan/Feb issue of Preaching, the Professional Journal for Preachers.
- “Why Preach?” Article accepted for publication in June 2005 edition of the JEHS - Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society
- “Introductions.”, “Conclusions.” Practical Encyclopedia of Biblical Preaching, Zondervan, 2004.
- “Blockbuster Preaching.” CONTACT, Winter 2004.
- Published a series of articles for preachingtoday.com:“Language of Application, Jigsaw Puzzle Sermons” and “Good Sermon - Wrong Text”, 2001