J. Kent Edwards
Professor of Preaching and Leadership
- Ph.D., Cook School of Intercultural Studies, BIOLA University
- D.Min., Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary
- M.Div., Tyndale Seminary
- B.Th, Canadian Bible College
J. Kent Edwards’ ambition is to change people’s lives with the Word of God and equip others to do the same. Kent is known for his passion for preaching, and brings over 30 years of Christian leadership experience, as a senior pastor, church planter and educator. He is a popular conference and seminar speaker and lectures regularly nationally and internationally.
Kent Edwards is the tenured Professor of Preaching & Leadership at Talbot School of Theology, and the Founder & President of CrossTalk Global. CrossTalk Global equips biblical communicators who do not have access to seminary education, and is currently operating in seven countries and four continents.
Edwards directed the Doctor of Ministry Programs at Talbot School of Theology and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary for 14 years while serving as Executive Board Member of the Association for Doctor of Ministry Education, and founder/editor of The Journal of Christian Ministry. Edwards is past president of the Evangelical Homiletics Society and the author of two award-winning books: Effective First-Person Biblical Preaching (Zondervan, 2005) and Deep Preaching (Broadman & Holman, 2009).
Kent has earned the degrees of Bachelor of Theology, Master of Divinity, Doctor of Ministry and a Ph.D. in Intercultural Education. His D.Min. dissertation was on narrative preaching, while his Ph.D. dissertation focused on effective international leadership.
Kent has been married to Nola for thirty-five years and they have two grown sons.
- Evangelical Homiletics Society
- Academy of Homiletics
- Association of Doctor of Ministry Education
- Chapter in "Serving the Word:Essays in Honor of Dr. Chuck Sackett", published by Wipf & Stock, July 2015.
- Chapter in "Models for Biblical Preaching: Expository Sermons from the Old Testament”, published by Baker Academic, April 2014.
- Deep Preaching: Creating Sermons that Go Beyond the Superficial, published by B & H Academic. August 2009
- Effective First-Person Biblical Preaching. Zondervan, released September, 2005.
- The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching. Contributed two chapters. Zondervan 2005. Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson, General Editors
- Contributor, It's All About How You Tell It Baker, 2003 by Haddon and Torrey Robinson.
- Contributing author, Perfect Illustrations for Every Topic and Occasion, Tyndale House Publishers, Craig Brian Larsen ed.
- Wrote a lead article on leadership for the fall 2012 edition of Talbot’s Sundoulos magazine entitled “Look Where You’re Going.”
- “What Will I Serve For Dinner?” in the 2008 Jan/Feb issue of Preaching, the Professional Journal for Preachers.
- Wrote a lead article for July 2010 special edition of The Canadian Gideon magazine entitled "The Look of a leader."
- What will I serve for Dinner? Article printed in Fall 2007 edition of Talbot’s Sundoulos magazine.
- “Why Preach?” Article accepted for publication in June 2005 edition of the JEHS - Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society
- “Introductions.”, “Conclusions.” Practical Encyclopedia of Biblical Preaching, Zondervan, 2004.
- “Blockbuster Preaching.” CONTACT, Winter 2004.
- Published a series of articles for preachingtoday.com:“Language of Application, Jigsaw Puzzle Sermons” and “Good Sermon - Wrong Text”, 2001
- Keynote speaker for 3-day weekend retreat for Living Hope Community Church @ The Oaks Conference, Aug. 2016
- CrossTalk Global: led a 3-day preaching seminar for 100 pastors on Mombasa, Kenya, July 2016
- CrossTalk Global: taught the first of three 2-week intensive preaching residencies for 19 pastors: Yangon, Myanmar, June 2016
- CrossTalk Global: taught the second of three 2-week intensive preaching residencies for 24 pastors: Hanoi, Vietnam, June 2016
- Keynote speaker @ Proclaiming the Narratives of Scripture: a 2-day seminar in Montgomery Community Church, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 2016
- Preached at CrossPoint Church, Huntington Beach, CA., May 2016
- Keynote speaker @ Better Than Any Movie biblical communication seminar at Crosswalk Community church, Sunnyvale CA., May 2016
- Keynote speaker @ Proclaiming the Narratives of Scripture: A biblical preaching seminar: a 2-day seminar in Auburn, MA was organized by the New England Christian Study Center & sponsored by the Cecil B. Day Foundation. May 2016
- CrossTalk Global: led a 3-day preaching seminar for 100 students in Delhi, India, April 2016
- Preached in three services at Journey of Hope church, Manhattan Beach, CA., Feb. 2016