Professor of Bible Exposition
Chair, Bible Exposition Department
- Ph.D., Dallas Theological Seminary
- Th.M., Western Conservative Baptist Seminary
- M.Div., Western Conservative Baptist Seminary
- B.S., Washington State University
Dr. Hutchison brings outstanding ministry experience to the classroom, having served 22 years in youth, associate, interim, and senior pastor positions. He is the author of Thinking Right When Things Go Wrong - Biblical Wisdom for Facing Tough Times., and has also been published in Vital Apologetic Issues, Bibliotheca Sacra, Journal of Evangelical Theological Society, and Decision magazine. Through clear exposition and good communication skills, his aim is to pass on to his students a love for God's Word, including its relevance and practicality for ministry today. Dr. Hutchison regularly leads study trips to Israel, and his greatest teaching strengths lie in the areas of biblical survey, Old Testament wisdom literature, and life of Christ.
- Pastor-elder at Oceanside Christian Fellowship in El Segundo, CA, 2012 - Present
- Evangelical Theological Society
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of Dean's Incentive Awards for development of undergraduate Christian Thought curriculum, Talbot School of Theology, Spring 1992
- Recipient of Dean's Incentive Awards for work as Chair of undergraduate Biblical Studies, Talbot School of Theology, Spring 1993
- Voted Professor of the Year for Biola's graduating class of 2000
- Who's Who in American University Professors 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06.
Thinking Right When Things Go Wrong-Biblical Wisdom for Facing Tough Times, Kregel Publications, 2005.
Contributing writer to Encyclopedia of Fundamentalism, Routledge Publishing House, 2001. Author of articles on "Jesus Christ" and "Bible Study."
Contributing writer to Vital Apologetics Issues, Kregel Publications: Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1995. Author of one chapter on the Design Argument in writings of the founders of modern science.
Contributing Biblical writer to David Stoop & Stephen Arterburn (eds.), Life Recovery Bible, Tyndale, 1992. Author of introductory and explanatory notes for Leviticus, Numbers, and Luke.
“ Vine in John 15 and Old Testament Imagery in the “I AM’ Statements,’ Bibliotheca Sacra 168 Jan – Mar 2011
“The 'Design' Argument in Scientific Discourse: Historical Theological Perspective from the 17th-century.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 41, March 1998. Pp. 85-105.
“What Bible Version Do You Use?” Steadfast (Talbot School of Theology publication), Fall 2007.
“Women, Gentiles, and the Messianic Mission in Matthew's Genealogy.” Bibliotheca Sacra 158, April-June 2001. Pp. 152-164.
“What do we Learn From the Prayer of Agur?” Steadfast, (Talbot School of Theology publication), Fall 2002. Pp. 1-2.
“The Prayer of Agur.” Kindred Spirit, 26:2, Summer 2002. Pp. 7-9.
“Can We Cash In on our Faith?” Biola Connections, Spring 2005.
“Was John the Baptist an Essene from Qumran?” Bibliotheca Sacra 159, April-June 2002. Pp. 1-14.
“Servanthood: Jesus’ Counter-cultural Call to Christian Leaders” Bibliotheca Sacra 166 Jan Mar 2009.
“Darwin's Evolutionary Theory and 19th-Century Natural Theology.” Bibliotheca Sacra 152, July-September 1995. Pp. 334-354.
“In the Presence of Terminal Illness.” Decision magazine, January 1994.
- Presently research/writing to co-author (with Dr. Ken Way) an Old Testament Survey text for Kregel Publications, "Invitation to the Old Testament”
- Development/refining of two online courses—(1) Jesus the Master Teacher; (2) New Testament Survey