Kenneth C Way
Associate Professor of Bible Exposition
- Ph.D., Hebrew Union College
- M.Phil., Hebrew Union College
- M.A., Trinity International University
- B.A., Moody Bible Institute
Dr. Way's passion is teaching the Old Testament in its ancient Near Eastern environment. His research interests include the book of Judges, Israelite religion/archaeology, Northwest Semitic inscriptions, and the fauna of the ancient Near East. He regularly presents at academic meetings and has been published in Ugarit-Forschungen, Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, Journal of Biblical Literature, Levant, and Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books. Ever since his college days, Dr. Way has sensed God's calling to teach Bible (especially Old Testament) in a classroom setting and to mentor students who desire more of God in their lives.
- The Society of Biblical Literature
- The American Schools of Oriental Research
- The Institute for Biblical Research
- The Evangelical Theological Society
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the SBL Midwest Regional Scholar Award (2007-2008) for the paper Assessing Sacred Asses: Bronze Age Donkey Burials
- Recipient of the Jacob Ziskind Memorial Fellowship at Hebrew Union College (2000-2004).
- Recipient of Summer in Israel Scholarship at Hebrew Union College (2001): seven weeks of training in archaeology and modern Hebrew language.
- Recipient of the Gleason L. Archer Old Testament Award for Best Thesis or Dissertation at Trinity International University (Spring 2000).
- Named in Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges: 2000. 66th Volume. Tuscaloosa: Randall, 2000 (p. 1386).
- Recipient of Presidential Scholarship at Trinity International University (1997)
- Recipient of the Student Paper Award from the Evangelical Theological SocietyMidwest (Regional Meeting, 1997).
Judges and Ruth: Teach the Text Commentary Series (Grand Rapids: Baker, forthcoming); series editor: J. H. Walton
Donkeys in the Biblical World: A Ceremonial and Symbolic Study (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2011).
“The Literary Structure of Judges Revisited: Judges as a Ring Composition” in Windows to the Ancient World of the Hebrew Bible: Essays in Honor of Samuel Greengus, eds. B. T. Arnold, N. L. Erickson and J. H. Walton, pp. 247-260 (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2014).
"Mari Archive” in the Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham: Logos Research Systems, 2014).
Thirty-two entries (5,000 words) in the Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary edited by T. Longman, P. Enns and M. Strauss (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013).
"Assessing Sacred Asses: Bronze Age Donkey Burials in the Near East" Levant 42/2 (Nov 2010):213-228.
“Donkey Domain: Zech 9:9b and Lexical Semantics” Journal of Biblical Literature 129/1 (2010): 105-114.
“Animals in the Prophetic World: Literary Reflections on Numbers 22 and 1 Kings 13” Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 34/1 (2009): 47-62.
“The God of Noble Character? Proverbs 31:10-31 in Context” Biola Magazine (Spring 2009: 39).
“Archaeology: What It Can And Can't Do For Old Testament Studies” Sundoulos (Fall 2008): pp. 2-7.
“Balaam's Hobby-Horse: The Animal Motif in the Balaam Traditions” Ugarit-Forschungen 37 (2005 Volume - Stanislav Segert in memoriam): 679-693.
“Jehoshaphat” in Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books, eds. Bill T. Arnold and H. G. M. Williamson (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2005) pp. 531-534.
- Review of S. Frolov, Judges. FOTL 18 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2013) in Review of Biblical Literature 12/2013.
Review of “Psalms in Community: Jewish and Christian Textual, Liturgical, and Artistic Traditions”, eds. H. W. Attridge and M. E. Fassler (Society of Biblical Literature, 2003) in the Journal of the American Oriental Society 127/1 (2007): 108-109.
Review of L. Allen and T. Laniak, “Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, NIBC” (Peabody: Hendrickson, 2003) in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 47/4 (December 2004): 706-708.
Review of M. Fishbane, “The JPS Bible Commentary: Haftarot” (Philadelphia: JPS, 2002) in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 46/2 (June 2003): 334-336.
Review of E. Stern, “Archaeology of the Land of the Bible”, vol. II: The Assyrian, Babylonian, and Persian Periods, 732-332 BCE (New York: Doubleday, 2001) in the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 45/4 (December 2002): 688-689.