Kevin E Lawson
Professor of Christian Education
Director, Ph.D and Ed.D. programs in Educational Studies
- Ed.D., University of Maine
- M.A.C.E., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- B.S., Houghton College
Dr. Kevin Lawson cares deeply about strengthening the educational ministry of churches. For 11 years, he served on church staffs as a minister of Christian education. He holds degrees in Christian education, biblical studies, and educational administration, and carries out research on local church educational ministry, theological and historical foundations of Christian education, and other related topics. Dr. Lawson teaches on the historical and theological foundations of Christian education, leadership issues, and educational research methods, and does ministry consultation. He has edited Understanding Children's Spirituality: Theology, Research, and Practice (2012) and has written How to Thrive in Associate Staff Ministry (Alban, 2000) and contributed chapters to Shaped by God: Twelve Essentials for Nurturing Faith in Children, Youth, and Adults (2010), Introducing Christian Education and Formation (2008), Nurturing Child and Adolescent Spirituality: Perspectives from the World's Religious Traditions (2006), Children's Spirituality: Christian Perspectives, Research, and Applications (2004), Introducing Christian Education: Foundations for the 21st Century (2001), and the Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education. His research and writing has been published in several periodicals, including Christian Education Journal, Evangelical Missions Quarterly, Religious Education, Journal of Youth Ministry, Growing Churches, The Journal for Case Teaching and two international journals. He serves as editor of the Christian Education Journal and “Christian Educators of the 20th century project" (christianeducators20.com) and on the Board of the Society for Children's Spirituality: Christian Perspectives.
- Evangelical Theological Society
- North American Professors of Christian Education (NAPCE)
- Religious Education Association
- Society for Children's Spirituality: Christian Perspectives
- “Learning the Faith in England in the Later Middle Ages: Contributions of the Franciscan Friars." Religious Education, Vol. 107, No. 2, Spring 2012.
- “A Proposal for 'Right-Handed' Christian Education" Theological Review, (Near East School of Theology, Beirut, Lebanon), Spring, 2010.
- Co-author, “Leading Ministry Teams, Part I: Theological Reflection on Ministry Teams" Christian Education Journal, Fall 2009.
- Co-author, “Leading Ministry Teams, Part II: Research on Effective Teams with Implications for Ministry Leadership" Christian Education Journal, Fall 2009.
- “ Leading Ministry Teams, Part I: Theological Reflection on Ministry Teams," by Orbelina Eguizabal and Kevin E. Lawson, Christian Education Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, Fall 2009.
- “ Leading Ministry Teams, Part II: Research on Effective Teams with Implications for Ministry Team Leadership," by Kevin E. Lawson and Orbelina Eguizabal, Christian Education Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, Fall 2009.
- Editor, supplemental issue of Christian Education Journal - “Christian Education: A Field in Motion" Spring 2009.
- “A Band of Sisters: 40 years in a Women's Bible Study and Prayer Group." Religious Education Journal, May 2006.
- “The Research We Need: A Quadrilateral Perspective" Religious Education Journal, May 2006.
- “A Proposal for 'Right-Handed' Christian Education," Korean Society for Christian Education and Information Technology Journal, Spring 2006.
- “In Right Relationship with God: Childhood Conversion in Evangelical Christian Traditions," a chapter in Nurturing Child and Adolescent Spirituality: Perspectives from the World's Religious Traditions. General Editors: Karen-Marie Yust, Aostre N. Johnson, Sandy Eisenberg Sasso, and Eugene C. Roehlkepartain. Published by Rowman and Littlefield,.
Books, Volumes, Chapters
- "Handbook for Supervisors of Doctoral Students in Evangelical Theological Institutions," co-author, Ian Shaw, (Langham Global Library, 2015)
- “Fulfilling an Ongoing Commission: The Historical Roots of Contemporary Educational Ministry," in Freddy Cardoza's (Ed.), Christian Education: Twenty-first Century Ministry, Baker Books, Forthcoming.
- “Children Learning the Faith in the Middle Ages: Learning from Past Practices for Present Ministry," in La Verne Tolbert's (Ed.), Exploring and Engaging Spirituality for Today's Children: A Holistic Approach. Wipf & Stock, 2014.
- Associate Staff Ministry: Thriving Personally, Professionally, and Relationally. Co-author with Mick Boersma, Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
- Understanding Children's Spirituality: Theology, Research, and Practice. (Co-editor). Wipf & Stock. 2012.
- Editor, “Christian Education Journal." Editorials. 2003 - Present.
- "Growing in Wisdom and Stature: Recent Research on Spirituality and Faith Formation," in Robert Keeley's Shaped by God: Twelve Essentials for Nurturing Faith in Children, Youth, and Adults, Faith Alive Christian Resources, 2010.
- “Restoring Children: Serving Boys and Girls for Christ - Both Near and Far", in Ronald T. Habermas's Introduction to Christian Education and Formation, Zondervan, 2008.
- “Looking Back, Looking Ahead," chap. in Children's Spirituality: Christian perspectives, research, and applications. Cascade Books, 2004.
- “Theology and Christian Education in the 20th Century: An Annotated Bibliography." Monograph published by the North American Professors of Christian Education. Expansion and Revision of earlier work. 2002.
- How to Thrive in Associate Staff Ministry with The Alban Institute (May, 2000)
- “Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education", six articles. Topics: Regression, Associate Pastors, Vision, Values, Case Studies, Critical Reflection. Baker
- “Effective Teaching: Implications from Current Research for Christian Education" Christian Education Journal, Vol. XI, No.3.
- “Historical Foundations of Christian Education," in Introducing Christian Education, Edited by Michael Anthony. Baker Books.