Assistant Professor, Institute of Spiritual Formation
- Ph.D., University of Aberdeen
- M.A., Talbot School of Theology (N.T.)
- M.A., Talbot Shool of Theology (Philosophy)
- B.A., Judson University
Dr. Strobel teaches spiritual theology for Talbot’s Institute for Spiritual Formation and Spiritual Formation Focus programs. His areas of interest include systematic theology, Jonathan Edwards, spiritual formation, and prayer. He writes both popular and academic books and articles, having published in the Harvard Theological Review, Journal of Spiritual Formation & Soul Care, and Relevant Magazine.
- Beloved Dust: Drawing Close to God by Discovering the Truth About Yourself co-authored with Jamin Goggin (Thomas Nelson, 2014).
- Formed for the Glory of God: Learning from the Spiritual Practices of Jonathan Edwards (IVP, 2013).
- Jonathan Edwards’s Theology: A Reinterpretation (T&T Clark, 2013).
- Metamorpha: Jesus as a Way of Life (Baker Books, 2007).
- The Ecumenical Edwards: Jonathan Edwards and the Theologians (Ashgate Publishing, forthcoming).
- Sanctified in Grace: A Theology of the Christian Life co-edited with Kent Eilers (T&T Clark, 2014).
- Reading the Christian Spiritual Classics: A Guide for Evangelicals co-edited with Jamin Goggin (IVP Academic, 2013).
- Charity and Its Fruits: Living in the Love of God, edited and introduced by Kyle Strobel (Crossway, 2012).
- “Atoning Wisdom: The Wisdom of God in the Way of Salvation” in Locating Atonement: Explorations in Constructive Dogmatics ed. co-author Adam Johnson, Oliver Crisp and Fred Sanders, (Zondervan, 2015), 89-100.
- “The Beauty of Christ in the Theology of Jonathan Edwards and Hans Urs von Balthasar,” in The Ecumenical Edwards: Jonathan Edwards and the Theologians ed. Kyle Strobel (Ashgate Publishing, forthcoming).
- “Theology in the Gaze of the Father: Retrieving Jonathan Edwards’s Trinitarian Aesthetics” in Advancing Trinitarian Theology: Explorations in Constructive Dogmatics ed. Oliver Crisp and Fred Sanders (Zondervan, 2014).
- “Introduction: The Christian Life in Dogmatic Key” co-authored with Kent Eilers in Sanctified in Grace: A Theology of the Christian Life (T&T Clark, 2014).
- “By Word and Spirit: Jonathan Edwards on Redemption, Justification, and Regeneration,” in Jonathan Edwards and Justification ed. Josh Moody (Crossway, 2012), 45-69.
- "Jonathan Edwards's Reformed Doctrine of the Beatific Vision," in Jonathan Edwards and Scotland ed. Ken Minkema, Adriaan Neale and Kelly van Andel (Dunedin Academic Press, 2011), 171-188.
- “‘In Your Light they Shall See Light’: A Theological Prolegomena for Contemplation” in Journal of Spiritual Formation and Soul Care (Spring 2014): 85-106.
- “Jonathan Edwards and the Polemics of Theosis,” in Harvard Theological Review 105:3 (July 2012): 259-279.
- “The Beauty of the Triune God: A Retrieval.” Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Los Angeles Theology Conference: Advancing Trinitarian Theology (Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena): January, 2014.
- “Reforming Silent Prayer." Paper presented at the 65th Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society (Baltimore): November, 2013.
- “The Ground and Possibility of Contemplation.” Paper presented at the 64th Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society (Milwaukee): November, 2012.
- “An Evangelical Spirituality of Theosis." Paper presented at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society (San Francisco): November, 2011.
- "A Happifying Sight: Jonathan Edwards and the Beatific." Paper presented at the Jonathan Edwards and Scotland Conference (Glasgow): March, 2009.