Michael J Anthony
Research Professor of Christian Education
- Ph.D., Claremont Graduate School
- Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.R.E., Golden Gate Seminary
- Talbot Theological Seminary
- Biola College
Dr. Anthony specializes in education, administration, and leadership training and development. He is the author / editor of 12 books such as Moving On Moving Forward, Exploring the Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Christian Education and The Effective Church Board: A Handbook for the Mentoring and Training of Christian Leaders. He edited The Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education; Introducing Christian Education: Foundations for the 21st Century; Foundations of Ministry: An Introduction to Christian Education for a New Generation; and The Short-Term Missions Boom; and co-authored Help... I'm a Camp Counselor and Single Adult Passages: Uncharted Territories. Dr. Anthony has contributed articles to the Journal of Christian Education, Youthworker Journal, Religious Education Journal, and Christian Education Journal. A former president of North American Professors of Christian Education, he speaks to many groups, and is Chaplain for the Irvine Police Department.
- International Conference of Police Chaplains
- North American Professors of Christian Education
- National Association of Single Adult Leaders
- Christian Camping International
- National Youth Speakers Association
Awards and Honors
- Award of Excellence - Career Achievement in Leadership; Biola University (2006)
- Heroes With a Heart Award; Orange County Trauma Intervention Program (TIPS), 2005
- Master Chaplain Certification; International Conference of Police Chaplains, 2005
- Community Service/Policing Award, Irvine Police Department, 2005
- Recognition of Spirit of Volunteerism Award, U.S. Congress, 2004
- Volunteer of the Year, Volunteer Center of Orange County, 2004
- Alumnus of the Year, Briercrest Family of Schools, 2003
- Excellence in Academic Advising, Biola University, 2001
- Award of Excellence in Peer Mentoring, Biola University, 2001
- Publications Award, Associate Students of Talbot School of Theology, 2001
- Who's Who Among American Teachers, 1998
- Academic Excellence Award presented by the Briercrest Family of Schools, 1996
- Book of the Year Award presented by the National Association of Single Adult Leaders, 1992
- Dean's Incentive Award for Departmental Leadership, Biola University, 1990
- Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities, 1984
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1980, 1986, 1987
- Estep. J., M. Anthony & J. Allison. "A Theology of Christian Education." Broadman & Holamn Publishers. Release date: August 2008.
Articles & Chapters
- "Perspectives on Children's Spiritual Formation: Bridging between Theory and Children's Minsitry Models." Ch. 15 in Nurturing Children's Spirituality: Christian Perspectives and Best Practices, Holly Catterton Allen (Ed). Seattle, WA: Cascade Publishing House, 2008.
- "The Effective Church Board: Fact or Fiction?" NACBA-ledger, Newsletter of the National Association of Church Business Administration, Fort Worth: TX., April-June, 1994. Pp. 25-27.
- "The Effective Church Board: Fact or Fiction?" IL/MO, Monthly newsletter of Association of Regular Baptist Churches, Glen Ellyn: IL., March 1994. Pp. 2-4. [This was a reprint of the Sundoulos article].
- "Training a Church Board." The MacIntosh Church Growth Network, 6, 2, February 1994. Pp. 1-2.
- "The Effective Church Board: Fact or Fiction?" Sundoulos, A Talbot School of Theology Alumni Publication, Winter 1994. Pp. 2-4.
- "Planning Christian Education Programs." Chapter 23 in The Leadership Handbook of Practical Theology, Vol. 2, Berkley, J. (ed.) Grand Rapids, MI., 1994. Christianity Today & Baker Books.
- "The Religious Education of Young Single Adults." Chapter 11 in The Handbook of Young Adult Religious Education, Atkinson, H. (ed.), Religious Education Press, to be released fall of 1994.
- "The Relationship Between Marital Satisfaction and Religious Maturity." Religious Education Journal, 88, 1, 1993. Pp. 97-108.
- "Living with the 'L' Word: The Spector of Litigation" Journal of Youthworker, 8, 4, 1992. Pp. 82-86.
- "A Child Abuse and Prevention Plan for the Local Church." with MacLean, R., Christian Education Journal, 12, 2, 1992. Pp. 9-15.
- "Special Report." (Excerpts for this special report were taken from three articles submitted by myself to the SAM Journal). Single Adult Ministries Journal, 8, 3, 1991. P. 1.
- "Development of America's Single Adult Population During the Twentieth Century." with Koons, C.K., The National Single Adult Ministries Resource Directory, Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 1991/1992. Pp. 9.
- "Attitudes About Sex and Being Single." with Koons, C.K., The National Single Adult Ministries Resource Directory, Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 1992. Pp. 10.
- "Twelve Realities About a Singles Ministry in the Local Church." with Koons, C.K., The National Single Adult Ministries Resource Directory, Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 1991/1992. Pp. 18-20.
- "Humanism in American Christian Education." Christian Education Journal, 12, 1, 1991. Pp. 79-88.
- "Is Marriage a Passport to Paradise?" with Koons, C., Sundoulos, A Talbot School of Theology Alumni Publication, 1990. P. 1.
- "The Relationship Between Leadership Style and the Growth Rate of the Sunday School." Christian Education Journal, 10, 1, 1989. Pp. 91-104.
- "Guidelines to Help Avoid and Resolve Clientele Conflict." Journal of Christian Camping, 1986. Pp. 10-11.
- "Management by Objectives for Camp administration." Journal of Christian Camping, 1985. Pp. 12-13.
- "Planning a Staff Training Program." Journal of Christian Camping, 1985. Pp. 6-8.
- "Planning, Control Key to Managing Staff Conflicts." Journal of Christian Camping, 1985. Pp. 12-13.
- Anython, M. J. and Mick Boersma. "Onward and Forward: The Ultimate Guide for Pastors in Career Transition." Zondervan Publishers, 2007.
- "Four Perspectives on Children's Spiritual Formation." Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2006.
- "Management Essentials for Christian Ministries." with Estep, James E., Broadman & Holman Publishers, March 2005.
- "Exploring the Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Christian Education." with Benson, W., Kregel Books, 2003.
- "The Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education." ed., Baker Books, 2001.
- "Introducing Christian Education: Foundations for the 21st Century." ed., Baker Books, 2001.
- "The Short-term Missions Boom: A Guide to International and Domestic Involvement." Baker Books, 1994.
- "The Effective Church Board: A Handbook for the Mentoring and Training of Servant Leaders." Baker Books, 1993.
- "Foundations of Ministry: An Introduction to Christian Education for a New Generation." ed., Victor Books, 1992.
- "Single Adult Passages: Uncharted Territories." with Koons, C., Baker Books, 1991.
- "Help... I'm a Camp Counselor." with Wright, H.N., rev. ed., Regal Press, 1985. Korean edition published 2000, Portuguese edition published 2001.
- Non-profit Management
- Educational Administration
- Leadership Development
- Ministry Preparation
- Short-term Missions
- Law enforcement ethics
- Experiential Education