Octavio Javier Esqueda
Professor of Christian Education
- Ph.D., University of North Texas
- M.A., Dallas Theological Seminary
- Lic. University of Guadalajara
Octavio Javier Esqueda is a professor in the doctoral programs in educational studies at Talbot School of Theology at Biola University. He was born and raised in Guadalajara, México, where he graduated with honors with a Licenciatura in Latin American Literature from the University of Guadalajara as well as two additional diplomas, one on religion and society and the second on journalism. He graduated with honors from Dallas Theological Seminary with an M.A. in Christian Education and completed his doctorate (Ph.D.) in Higher Education at the University of North Texas. Before coming to Biola University in 2011, he taught at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas for over seven years. He is an avid soccer fan and has been married to Angélica for seventeen years. They have two children Darío and Salma. Dr. Esqueda has several publications on theological education, Christian higher education, and literature. Teaching is his passion and has had the opportunity to teach in several countries on different academic levels.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Christian Higher Education: A Journal of Applied Research and Practice.
- Editorial Board Member and Book Review Editor for the Teaching-Learning Process Area at Christian Education Journal.
- Editorial Board Member, Revista Fuentes, Academic Journal of the School of Education at the University of Seville, Spain.
- Anointed Teaching: Partnership with the Holy Spirit. In collaboration with Robert Pazmiño and Elizabeth Conde-Frazier. Abingdon Press, Forthcoming.
- The Cruciform Faculty: The Making of a Christian Professor. In Collaboration with James Riley Estep Jr., Mark Maddix, and Mark Heinemann. Information Age Publishing, Forthcoming.
- Book Chapter “La Reforma Vista desde una Perspectiva de Formación Cristiana” in Nuestras 95 Tesis: A 500 Años de la Reforma. Abingdon Press, Fortcoming
- Book chapter ¨Biblical-Theological Foundations of Christian Education” in Christian Education: Twenty-First Century Ministry. Baker Academic, Forthcoming.
- Cuban Christian Theological Higher Education, Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009.
- Book chapters “God as Teacher,” “The Holy Spirit as Teacher,” and “How to Study the Bible” in The Teaching Ministry of the Church, 2nd edition. Broadman and Holman, 2008.
- “The Spanish Reformation and Christian Education: Timeless Educational Principles from Antonio del Corro and Constantino Ponce de la Fuente.” Christian Education Journal. Series 3, Vol. 11, N. 2. Fall 2014.
- “Biblical Worldview: The Christian Higher Education Foundation for Learning.” Christian Higher Education. Vol. 13, Number 2, March-April 2014.
- Latin America and Caribbean Section Editor and “The Growth and Impact of Pentecostalism in Latin America.” Christian Education Journal. Supplemental Issue: International Perspectives on Christian Education. Fall 2013.
- “Sin and Christian Teaching.” The Christian Education Journal. Series 3. Vol.8. N 1 Spring 2011.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 4: The Historical Roots and Milestones of the Eastern Cuba Baptist Theological Seminary." Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 6. N. 3. May-August 2007.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 3: The Cuban Revolution.” Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 6. N. 2. March-April 2007.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 2: Origins and Ministry of Protestant Seminaries.” Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 6, Num. 1, January-February 2007.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 1: Introduction.” Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 5, Num 4, October-December 2006.
- "El Jesús de Endo y Saramago: La cristología de Jesús y El evangélio según Jesuscristo" (The Jesus of Endo and Saramago: The Christology of A Life of Jesus and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ)," Kairós, Journal of the Central American Theological Seminary (referred), Fall 2002.
- “A South American Impression f Christianity in the United States” in Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States. Rowman & Littlefield Publishing, Forthcoming.
- “Mexico” and “Cuba” in Encyclopedia of Christian Education. Rowman & Littlefield Publishing, 2015.
- “Religious Affiliation,” in the Encyclopedia Hispanic American Religious Cultures, ABC-CLIO, 2009.