Octavio Javier Esqueda
Professor of Christian Higher Education
- Ph.D., University of North Texas
- M.A., Dallas Theological Seminary
- Lic. University of Guadalajara
Esqueda is a professor of Christian higher education in the doctoral programs
in educational studies at Talbot School of Theology at Biola
University. He was born and raised in Guadalajara, México, where he
graduated with honors with a Licenciatura in Latin American
Literature from the University of Guadalajara as well as two additional
diplomas, one on religion and society and the second on journalism. He
graduated with honors from Dallas Theological Seminary with an M.A. in
Christian Education and completed his doctorate (Ph.D.) in Higher Education at
the University of North Texas. Before coming to Biola University in 2011, he
taught at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas for
over seven years. He and his wife, Angélica, have two children Darío and Salma.
Dr. Esqueda has several publications on theological education, Christian higher
education, and literature. Teaching is his passion and has had the opportunity
to teach in several countries on different academic levels. He is an avid
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Christian Higher Education: A Journal of Applied Research and Practice
- Former Editorial Board Member and Book Review Editor for the Teaching-Learning Process Area at Christian Education Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Revista Fuentes, Academic Journal of the School of Education at the University of Seville, Spain.
- Board Member Centro de Investigación y Memoria del Protestantismo Español (Center for Research and History of the Spanish Reformation)
- Board Member of the Society of Professors in Christian Education (SPCE), formerly North American Professors of Christian Education
- Former Board member, Howard Center for Christian Studies
- Member of the International Association for the Promotion of Christian Higher Education (IAPCHE)
- Member of the Asociación para la Educación Teológica Hispana (Hispanic Theological Association, AETH)
- Member of The Latin America Theological Fraternity (FTL).
- Anointed Teaching: Partnership with the Holy Spirit. In collaboration with Robert W. Pazmiño. AETH, Forthcoming.
- Book Chapter “La Reforma Española: La Influencia Protestante en México y Latinoamérica” in Die, spanische Reformation‘. Sonderwege reformatorischen Gedankengutes in Spanien und Hispanoamerika. Marina Ortrud M. Hertrampf (ed.). Peter Lang, 2017
- The Cruciform Faculty: The Making of a Christian Professor. In Collaboration with James Riley Estep Jr., Mark Maddix, and Mark Heinemann. Information Age Publishing, 2016.
- Book Chapter “The Reformation In Light of a Christian Formation Perspective Within the Life of Our Latino People” in Our 95 Theses: 500 Years After the Reformation, Alberto L. Garcia and Justo L Gonzalez (Eds.), AETH, 2016 (Also available in Spanish)
- Book chapter ¨Biblical-Theological Foundations of Christian Education” in Christian Education: Twenty-First Century Ministry. Baker Academic, Forthcoming.
- Cuban Christian Theological Higher Education, Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009.
- Book chapters “God as Teacher,” “The Holy Spirit as Teacher,” and “How to Study the Bible” in The Teaching Ministry of the Church, 2nd edition. Broadman and Holman, 2008.
- “The Spanish Reformation and Christian Education: Timeless Educational Principles from Antonio del Corro and Constantino Ponce de la Fuente.” Christian Education Journal. Series 3, Vol. 11, N. 2. Fall 2014.
- “Biblical Worldview: The Christian Higher Education Foundation for Learning.” Christian Higher Education. Vol. 13, Number 2, March-April 2014.
- Latin America and Caribbean Section Editor and “The Growth and Impact of Pentecostalism in Latin America.” Christian Education Journal. Supplemental Issue: International Perspectives on Christian Education. Fall 2013.
- “Sin and Christian Teaching.” The Christian Education Journal. Series 3. Vol.8. N 1 Spring 2011.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 4: The Historical Roots and Milestones of the Eastern Cuba Baptist Theological Seminary." Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 6. N. 3. May-August 2007.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 3: The Cuban Revolution.” Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 6. N. 2. March-April 2007.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 2: Origins and Ministry of Protestant Seminaries.” Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 6, Num. 1, January-February 2007.
- "Theological Higher Education in Cuba: Part 1: Introduction.” Christian Higher Education: An International Journal of Applied Research and Practice. Vol. 5, Num 4, October-December 2006.
- "El Jesús de Endo y Saramago: La cristología de Jesús y El evangélio según Jesuscristo" (The Jesus of Endo and Saramago: The Christology of A Life of Jesus and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ)," Kairós, Journal of the Central American Theological Seminary (referred), Fall 2002.
- “A South American Impression f Christianity in the United States” in Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States. Rowman & Littlefield Publishing, 2016.
- “Mexico” and “Cuba” in Encyclopedia of Christian Education. Rowman & Littlefield Publishing, 2015
- “Religious Affiliation,” in the Encyclopedia Hispanic American Religious Cultures, ABC-CLIO, 2009.