Richard C. Langer
Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies
Director, Office for the Integration of Faith and Learning
- Ph.D., University of California, Riverside
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- M.A., University of California, Riverside
- B.S., Colorado State University
Rick is a Professor of Biblical Studies and Theology and the Director of the Office of Faith and Learning at Biola University. he specializes in the integration of faith and learning, and has also published in the areas of bioethics, theology, and philosophy. He has a passion for helping Christians of all ages understand the connection between the Gospel and all the diverse facets of the created order in which we live. Prior to coming to Biola, he served for over twenty years as a pastor at Trinity Evangelical Free Church in Redlands, California.
- Ordained Minister, Evangelical Free Church of America
- Evangelical Theological Society
- “Points of Unease with the Spiritual Formation Movement,” Journal of Spiritual Formation and Soul Care, Fall 2012, 5:2, 182-206.
- “The Discourse of Faith and Learning,” Journal of Education and Christian Belief, 16:2, Fall 2012, 159-177.
- “Kingdom Integration: Reflections on Premillennialism and Cultural Engagement,” Criswell Theological Review, 10:1, Fall 2012, 21-40.
- “Barnabas, Then and Now: Facilitating the inclusion of disabled persons in worship communities,” Journal of the Christian Institute for Disabilities, Fall 2012, 43-60.
- Lexham Bible Dictionary, articles on “Revelation” and “Suffering”, 2012.
- “Human Flourishing: The Context for Character Development in Christian Higher Education”, Christian Higher Education, with M. Elizabeth Hall and Jason McMartin, in press.
- “Role of Suffering in Human Flourishing: Contributions from Positive Psychology, Theology, and Philosophy”, Journal of Psychology and Theology, with M. Elizabeth Lewis Hall Jason McMartin, in press.
- “Disability, Calling, and ‘A Kind of Life Imposed on Man’” in Foundations: Christian Perspectives on Disability Ministry, Christian Institute on Disability, Joni and Friends, forthcoming 2010
- “Niggle'’s Leaf and Holland’'s Opus”, Evangelical Review of Theology, April 2009
- “Emerging Church, Abiding Church or Departing Church” Proclamation!, May/June 2008
- “Humans, Commodities, and Humans-in-a-sense”, Philosophia Christi, May/June 2008
- “The Faith Once For All Delivered To The Saints” Proclamation!, Vol. 8:No. 6, Nov/Dec 2007
- “The Tree: Are You Connected?” Proclamation!, Vol. 8:No. 3, May/June 2007
- “Voluntary Intercourse and Fetal Rights: A Response” The Journal of Social Philosophy, 31:3, Fall 2000
- “Do Me the Honor of Shame” Beacon, November 1998.
- July 2011, “Beyond Suffering”, Uganda Christian University November 2010, “5 Points of Unease with the Spiritual Formation Movement” Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting
- November 2008, “Integration of Faith and Learning from a Pre-millennial Perspective”, Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting.
- October 2008, Grace University Bible Conference, Omaha NE; plenary talks on "Jesus, Lord of All", a consideration of the implications of the Lordship of Christ for human life and culture.
- November 2007, “John Cotton and Roger Williams: Letters from the Past and Lessons for the Present”, Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting.
- February 2007, “The Tree of Church History”, Former Adventist Fellowship Conference.
- April 2006: “The Perils and Prospects of Theological Integration in Christian Universities”, Far West Regional Meeting, ETS.
- March 2006: “Of Peretti, Potter and Puddleglum”, Through the Wardrobe: Christianity and Culture Conference, California Baptist University.
- October 2004; “Creation, Creature, or Commodity”, plenary session, 48th Annual T. Hart Baker Obstetrics and Gynecology Symposium, (Southern California Kaiser Permanente).
- November 2003: “A Biblical Basis for Bioethics”, plenary session, Central American Medical Dental Association Annual Conference, San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
- June 2002; “Philosophy of Religion” (4 day seminar), Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago.
- May 1996; “Virtue and the Physician”, Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Family Practice Conference, Fontana CA.