Richard J Leyda
Associate Professor of Christian Education
- Ph.D., Talbot School of Theology
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- B.A., University of Texas
both church and parachurch boards and teaching in the missions contexts of Africa and Eastern Europe. Dr. Leyda and his wife Ellen have two daughters, Laura, a Wheaton College graduate, and Lisa, a University of San Diego graduate. The Leyda’s live in La Canada, California.
- North American Professors of Christian Education
- Association of Theological Field Educators
Awards and Honors
- Selected to "Who's who Among America's Teachers" for both the Fourth (1996) and the Fifth (1998) Editions
- Scholarship Award Recipient of the "Dr. Bill Bynum Memorial Award" in 1994-5 for significant achievement by a doctoral student in the Christian Education Department, Talbot School of Theology
- Outstanding Young Men of America (1978)
- Distinguished Graduate, USAF Administration Officers School Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Mississippi (1972)
- Distinguished Military Graduate/R.O.T.C. Scholarship, University of Texas at Austin (1968-70)
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, University of Texas at Austin (1966-67)
- Full Athletic Scholarship, University of Texas at Austin (Football - 1966-1969)
“Henrietta C. Mears, Evangelical Entrepeneur.” Christian Education Journal, Fall 2003.
“Dr. Henrietta C. Mears.” Christian Educators of the Twentieth Century, (Web-based Project) Kevin Lawson (ed.), October 2002.
“Exploring a 'Coaching' Model for Promoting Spiritual Formation.” Christian Education Journal, Fall, 2000. Lead writer in co-authored article.
“Assessment Of Multidimensional Self-Esteem: Gender Effects Within A Christian University.” Research on Christian Higher Education, Volume 5, 1998.
“Journey on the River of Faith: Faith Development from Adolescence into Young Adulthood.” Christian Education Journal, Autumn, 1989.
“Developing Leaders.” in Michael J. Anthony (ed.) "Organization and Administration in Christian Education Ministry." Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel (in press).
“The Ministry of Christian Camping.” in Michael J. Anthony (ed.) "Introducing Christian Education: Foundations for the Twenty-first Century." Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2001.
“John Dewey.” “David Hume.”" “Henrietta Mears.” and “Deferred Gratification (co-author)” in Michael J. Anthony (ed.) "Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education." Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2001.
“Multidimensional Self-esteem and Spiritual Well-being in Evangelical Christian University Students from Selected Academic Majors.” Doctoral Dissertation, Talbot School of Theology, Biola University, 1995.
“Parachurch Ministries.” and “The Ministry of Christian Camping.” in Michael J. Anthony (ed.) Foundations of Ministry, Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1992.
“Letters from Prison.” Contributing Writer for Adult Sunday School Curriculum Highlights of the Bible-New Testament, (Teacher's Manual), Gospel Light Publications, 1980.