Ronald W. Pierce
Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies
- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
- Th.M., Talbot Theological Seminary
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- B.A., John Brown University
Ron Pierce has taught at Biola University in the undergraduate Biblical and Theological Studies division since 1976, specializing in the contemporary evangelical gender debate, the Israel-Palestine conflict and the OT book of Daniel. From 1986–2001 he and his wife Pat directed Biola's Israel-Palestine travel-study program, and continue to lead academic tours to the Holy Land for local churches. His published books include Discovering Biblical Equality (2005), Partners in Marriage & Ministry (2011) and a commentary on Daniel (2015), along with numerous articles for academic journals. Ron and Pat are active members at the Whittier Area Community Church, with whom Ron is ordained and where he regularly teaches adult classes.
- Christians for Biblical Equality
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Society of Biblical Literature
- "Daniel (Teach the Text Commentary Series)" Baker Books 2015, Ronald W. Pierce
- "Partners in Marriage and Ministry" (Christians for Biblical Equality, 2011).
- "Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy", Ronald W. Pierce & Rebecca Merrill Groothuis, eds. (InterVarsity, 2005).
Articles, Chapters & Programs
- “Daniel (Teach the Text Commentary Series)”, Baker Books, Grand Rapids, 2015.
- “Old Testament Interactive” (OTI Online) computer learning software. La Mirada: Biola University, 1990-2010.
- “1 Corinthians 7: Paul's Neglected Treatise on Gender,” Priscilla Papers 23/3, 2009.
- “The Feminine Voice of God: Women as Prophets in the Bible,” Priscilla Papers 21/1, 2007.
- “Clarity, Charity and Confrontation in the Evangelical Gender Debate,” Catalyst 32/2, 2006.
- “Barak, a Faith Hall-of-Famer who Followed a Woman's Lead,” Mutuality 13/2, 2006.
- “Contemporary Evangelicals for Gender Equality” in Discovering Biblical Equality (Downers Grove: IVP, 2005).
- “From Old Testament Law to New Testament Gospel” in Discovering Biblical Equality (Downers Grove: IVP, 2005).
- “Conditionality of Covenant and a Future for Israel.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 37/1, 1994.
- “Evangelicals and Gender Roles in the 1990's: I Timothy 2:8-15: A Test Case.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 36/3, 1993.
- “The Politics of Mordecai and Esther: Courage or Compromise?” Bulletin of Biblical Research, 2, 1992.
- “Spiritual Failure, Postponement and Daniel 9.” Trinity Journal, 10 NS, 1989.
- “Male/Female Leadership and Korah's Revolt: An Analogy?” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 30/1, 1987. Pp. 3-10.
- “Rameses” in International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Revised. Grand Rapids: Eerdman's, 1987.
- “A Thematic Development of the Haggai/Zechariah/Malachi Corpus.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 27/4, 1984. P.p. 401-411.