Ronald W. Pierce
Professor of Biblical and Theological Studies
- Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
- Th.M., Talbot Theological Seminary
- M.Div., Talbot Theological Seminary
- B.A., John Brown University
Dr. Ron Pierce has taught at Biola University in the undergraduate Biblical & Theological Studies division since 1976, specializing in the contemporary evangelical gender debate, the Israel-Palestine conflict, and the OT book of Daniel. From 1986-2001 he and his wife Pat directed Biola's Israel-Palestine travel-study program, and continue to lead academic tours to the Holy Land for local churches. His published books include Discovering Biblical Equality (2005), Partners in Marriage & Ministry (2011), and a commentary on Daniel (2015), along with numerous articles for academic journals. Ron & Pat are active members at the Whittier Area Community Church, with whom Ron is ordained and where he regularly teaches adult classes.
- Christians for Biblical Equality
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Society of Biblical Literature
- "Daniel (Teach the Text Commentary Series)" Baker Books 2015, Ronald W. Pierce
- "Partners in Marriage and Ministry" (Christians for Biblical Equality, 2011).
- "Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy", Ronald W. Pierce & Rebecca Merrill Groothuis, eds. (InterVarsity, 2005).
Articles, Chapters & Programs
- “Old Testament Interactive” (OTI Online) computer learning software. La Mirada: Biola University, 1990-2010.
- “1 Corinthians 7: Paul's Neglected Treatise on Gender,” Priscilla Papers 23/3, 2009.
- “The Feminine Voice of God: Women as Prophets in the Bible,” Priscilla Papers 21/1, 2007.
- “Clarity, Charity and Confrontation in the Evangelical Gender Debate,” Catalyst 32/2, 2006.
- “Barak, a Faith Hall-of-Famer who Followed a Woman's Lead,” Mutuality 13/2, 2006.
- “Contemporary Evangelicals for Gender Equality” in Discovering Biblical Equality (Downers Grove: IVP, 2005).
- “From Old Testament Law to New Testament Gospel” in Discovering Biblical Equality (Downers Grove: IVP, 2005).
- “Conditionality of Covenant and a Future for Israel.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 37/1, 1994.
- “Evangelicals and Gender Roles in the 1990's: I Timothy 2:8-15: A Test Case.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 36/3, 1993.
- “The Politics of Mordecai and Esther: Courage or Compromise?” Bulletin of Biblical Research, 2, 1992.
- “Spiritual Failure, Postponement and Daniel 9.” Trinity Journal, 10 NS, 1989.
- “Male/Female Leadership and Korah's Revolt: An Analogy?” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 30/1, 1987. Pp. 3-10.
- “Rameses” in International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Revised. Grand Rapids: Eerdman's, 1987.
- “A Thematic Development of the Haggai/Zechariah/Malachi Corpus.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, 27/4, 1984. P.p. 401-411.