Professor of Bible Exposition
- Ph.D., Westminster Theological Seminary
- M.A., St. Mary's Seminary
- Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary
- B.S., University of Missouri
Dr. Russell's areas of expertise are exegesis, hermeneutics, and New Testament theology, especially as they relate to world evangelism and the spiritual growth of the church. He has an extensive background in collegiate ministries, university teaching, and the pastorate, having planted two churches. He authored The Flesh/Spirit Conflict in Galatians and Playing with Fire: How the Bible Ignites Change in Your Soul. Dr. Russell has contributed articles to Bibliotheca Sacra, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Grace Theological Journal, Westminster Theological Journal, Trinity Journal, and Christianity Today. His life themes are the primacy of the Great Commission in the life of the church, the renewal of the church through the development of dynamic community, and the strengthening of the church through vibrant teaching of the Scriptures.
- Institute for Biblical Research
- The Catholic Biblical Association
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Evangelical Theological Society
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of Dean's Incentive Award, Talbot School of Theology, May, 1994
- Recipient of Fieldstead Foundation Grant for Postmodernism Seminar, 1992-1993
- Recipient of Lilly Grant for Faculty Scholarship, 1991 and 1993
- Recipient of the Timothy E. Knudsen Memorial Prize, Westminster Theological Seminary, 1986 and 1987
- Graduated with High Honors, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1978
- Recipient of the Arthur C. Gannett Award in Christian Education, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1978
- Received P.T.A. Scholarship to college as outstanding graduate of my high school class of 465 (Raytown South H. S., Raytown, Missouri), 1966
- Generous Loving, Generous Living (La Mirada, CA: Biola University, 2009) [33-page booklet].
- Playing with Fire: How the Bible Ignites Change in Your Soul (Colorado Springs, Co: NavPress, 2000).
- The Flesh/Spirit Conflict in Galatians (Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1997).
- Tracing the Blessing of God: A Survey of the New Testament and the Intertestamental Era (U. S. Center for World Mission, 1997).
- “The Role of Body Discipleship in Fulfilling the Great Commission,” forthcoming in 2011.
- “The Road to Generosity,” EFCA Focus on Accountability (First Quarter, 2010) 5-6.
- “Spirit-Intended Applications,” Sundoulos (Spring, 2010) 5-7.
- A Review of Vern S. Poythress & Wayne A. Grudem, The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy (Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2000) in Philosophia Christi 6:1 (2004) 177-181.
- “Is There Healing in this Application?” in Christian Research Journal 27:1 (Mar., 2004) 58-59.
- “Facing the Pain of Dementia,” Biola Connections (Summer, 2004) 16-17.